[CQ-Contest] Two radios on SS fone...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two radios on SS fone...
From: rbowen@iglobal.net (Ralph Bowen)
Date: Thu Jul 10 00:17:38 1997
One radio is all I can handle in Phonee SS.  Just need one good radio,
one good amplifier, a qth where I can work hundreds of 4's & 8's
(preferably on the next higher band than most of the pack) and lots of
tribanders pointing in different directions that  I can power divide.
Also, with as few QSO's on 40M as possible & none on 75M! I've won twice
with this type of set up; finished 2nd to Steinman in '92 (he used two
radios), but I have a lot of company there.

On code, operating without two radios is very boring after the first 2
or 3 hours  -  It would be interesting to see who the last CW SS winner
was that only used one radio  -  maybe ZD at NP4A - what about a
stateside winner?  I've been using two radios in CW SS since I got
serious in 1984.

K6LL & W1EAT probably hit the nail on the head re: 2 radio op in the
60's.  No tiny little tranceivers to deal with, just big boat anchors
that had to be tuned & tweaked to change bands & zero beated for every
S&P QSO.  Not to mention the heat  -  a 3CX1200 & a pair of 3-500z's is
plenty of heat  -  just add about 50 or 60 more tubes at +++ degrees!!

Neat thread  -   getting me fired up for November!!!

73,  Gator  N5RZ

Jim Pratt wrote:

> I read Tree, N7TR's...oops, I mean RICH, N7TR's <g> comments on two
> radios in SS phone with interest.  I too have never used two radios in
> Phone SS, and I won it one year not too long ago.  But I would never
> consider NOT having two radios in CW SS...and I have yet to win that!
> (Gee, maybe that is telling me something?)  I think that, from the West
> Coast, two radios in Phone SS is not necessary, given the rate available,
> but that may not be true from other parts of the US.  I am interested
> to see how many top-ten Phone SS ops use two radios and feel it is to
> their advantage?
>
> Jim  N6IG
>
>  -
>  ---