[CQ-Contest] IARU

Subject: [CQ-Contest] IARU
From: W5ASP@aol.com (W5ASP@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 13:01:46 1997
I'm going to depart from my norm and "chirp" in on this thread.

I have to agree with Randy... the IARU organizers did a good job in setting
up the present 24 hour version of the contest.  The old one had become pretty
much of a "ho hum" affair.... too much time, too few stations.

I'd kinda lost track of it for the past year or so... last year's WRTC was so
unique that I never made a Q other than with the "nifty fifty" guys.  This
year's event was a bit of an eye opener... kinda like WAEDC CW (I did CW
only), but with mostly eastern Europeans and lots of stateside to fill in the
gaps. Kept me well occupied most of Saturday.

I think the HQ stations are a positive... I like mults... they liven up
things... and IARU has two more EU zones than WW plus the HQs... really made
it worth while to put up the low band QRN to pick up the additional mults.

I understand the impact of the "East Coast Syndrome"... it's real... I've
been there and was impressed. But last trip I just barely got out before a
howling blizzard shut down the entire area for days... back to sunny Texas
where we just can't gather up all those neat Mults so easily. Life is
choices...

Nuff said... have fun es 73,

Joe, W5ASP

 -