[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Wed Jul 9 09:29:58 1997

>I was reading an old NCJ yesterday with an article by W9IOP that was
>originally published in 1960. The article was titled, "How to beat the
>winners" and was full of useful tips for operating SS. As I understand it,
>W9IOP and W4KFC were the kingpins of SS in those days and into the early 70's.
>
>I began to ponder the psyche of these operators and I, with some amazement,
>realized that (at least as far as said article goes) there was no mention of
>"two radio" operating. I'm quite sure that they both had at least two radios
>(stations) so that wasn't the limiting factor. Of course, computers were
>essentially non-existent, but I don't really think that would be a limiting
>factor cuz some of us that dabble with 2 radios today aren't interfaced and
>it definitely would have been a competitive advantage then as now.
>
>With memory keyers/tapes and such they coulda CQ'd with one radio while
>searching for new meat on a different band.
>
>So what was it, why wasn't this operating technique used before computers by
>the top ops? (maybe it was, but if it wasn't was it because):
>
>(1) Never thought of it?
>
>(2) Competition didn't require it (could win w/o it)?

These are just my two cents:

Probably (1) or (2).  If no one was using two radios, then no one would
need two radios, as they were on an even playing field with all the
competition in at least this respect.  So along the same lines, maybe no
one even thought of it.

Does anyone know when the first time was that two radios were used (other
than in VHF contests when 4 or 5 radios are sometimes used at once)?

Zack W9SZ

--

 -
 ---