[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes legends
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 9 18:39:30 1997
I'm not sure that I qualify as an SS legend, but I did make
top ten several times and won CW once. I was also part of
the K5LZO multi-op that dominated SS in the late 60's and
early 70's. 'LZO and I have debated the changes in SS over
the last 35+ years and here is my take.

SS of the 50's and 60's was a "gentleman's sport" Guys like
W4KFC, W9IOP, W3BES were given great respect and us
young pups would go out of our way to work them. We
would also QSY if we landed too close to their frequencies.
When you compound their signals, operating abilities, clear
frequencies and people seeking to work them (perhaps just
to get a famous W9IOP SS QSL card), you have one secret
of ongoing success. I had the privilege to know W4KFC and
he was one of the true gentlemen of ham radio and
earned a "clear frequency."

When 'LZO and I were "pushing the envelope" in multi-op SS
(we used an octopus device to keep from transmitting
simultaneously, that was subsequently banned). I am
convinced that we had a following because we were
outlaws. That definitely provided fodder for our logs,
because we would hear folks waiting five or six QSO's just to
work us.

As an aside, I'm still not sure I won that year
because N6RO wasn't operating and I would have to beat
him to really feel like I won it.

When I won SS CW in '75, it wasn't because I was a legend,
but I was in the fray every year since 1959 and there was
some benefit to the call recognition of WA5LES. My station
was an HW-101, 75A4 and SB-220. I had a Classic 33
tribander at 70' and a Hy-Gain 2 element 40 at 75'. There
were very few 40 meter beams at that time. Since I hit 40 at
about 0000Z and did not get out of the chair for seven
hours, I would have to say that the 2 element 40 was a
contributor. The other secret I had that year was that I spent
three years of my kids milk money to buy a Curtis Memory
Keyer. I was truly one of the first to have that little puppy and
it really did help relieve the fatigue factor.

In summary, the secret of success back then was:
Call recognition
Being a "gentleman"
Having a commanding signal
Ability and stamina
Having the latest techno-toys

After that era, we had hired guns, two radios, the overnight
wonders, QROO,  the Carribean factor, computer logging,
and a general leveling of the playing field. We lost the
"gentleman" approach, which has now become playing "king
of the hill," no matter who was on the frequency first.

Is the new SS bad? I don't think so. I still enter, but I don't
compete because what drew me to it no longer exists. That
is jut me. I encourage everyone to participate and/or
compete if they find satisfaction in it. My QSO total stood in
the top ten for many years, until the incentive program drove
participation and scores up. Is that bad? No, it is progress
and I applaud the League for the ingenuity to revive SS and
make it more popular.

In my opinion, what wins SS today is tenacity, location,
signal, stamina and the ability to use the latest techno-toys
to push the state of the art. It is not the same "gentleman's
sport," nor is long standing call recognition a factor in the
results.

I can't speak for K5LZO or N6RO, but I believe that we
enjoyed our golden era of SS and fervently hope that the
current crop of competitors enjoy it as much as we did. Go
get 'em!

Tom, K5RC/7

 -
 ---