[CQ-Contest] SS Legends and 2 Radios

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Legends and 2 Radios
From: kenkeeler@jazznut.com (Ken Keeler)
Date: Thu Jul 10 00:33:26 1997
Couldn't resist getting in on this thread when seeing several of you remind
us of the beginnings of SS for my generation, and the prominent calls of
the day: KFC, IOP, BES, BIP, WZQ, SZR...(let's not exclude MDX on SSB)  I
will always remember being called in the 1953 CW SS by W4KFC, in the 80m
novice band - I was KN2EIU at the time.  That treasured QSO inspired me to
travel along the contest trail, that I still hobble down.  Nice to read
today's reminiscing from the old gang and the semi-old gang!

My first two radio setup was in 1959: Heath DX100/SX101, and Lettine
240/ARC-5 rx for 80,40.  Simple switch to transfer headset and key.  No
amps, but this setup proved useful in CD parties and SS.  (K6LL - yes Dave,
I think drugs were responsible for me using this concept!)  In WTEX, in the
mid 60s, I had Heath SB101 + SB200, Drake 2B/DX60 combos, again mostly
SS/CD, with a more elaborate switch/mix box. By 1971, now in northern CA
(WA6DKF/W6PAA), I had three rigs (useful for DX contests); 2 Drake Lines,
TS520, and built a three position swithbox for key/PTT/Mic/cw spot
level/Audio+ three audio mixing toggles.  I could handle two radios quite
efficiently, the third was mostly to check 20m after the band had closed or
160 for mults. 28 years later, I still use that old box for an occasional
Single Op effort, but with only two radios. Nowadays, after years of sparse
activity until this year, I'm barely able to use two modern radios and
computer control to any advantage so far, but I'm practicing!

I agree with N6IG, that SS SSB doesn't require two radios from the west
coast.  I've never been able to switch mic lines (or DVP outputs) without
lotsa hum, so haven't really worried about SSB with 2 or more rigs.  Looks
like the box described in the NA manual would work. Bill (W4AN), have you
switched mics/DVP with yours?

Many of the operator attributes mentioned by K5RC and others are still more
important than the number of rigs and gadgets:  Perseverance, stamina,
skill, planning, etc.  They were what KFC, IOP, WZQ, RC..  won with, in the
"gentlemen" days of contesting. Despite the many changes we've seen, CW SS
is just as much fun today as it was in the 50/60s - possibly more so,
thanks to computer logging/control.  73   N6RO

Ken Keeler  Oakley,CA       Tenor Banjo
Devil Mountain Jazz Band, Jazz Nut Records, N6RO
Tel 510-625-2707  FAX 510-625-9403
   kenkeeler@jazznut.com

 -
 ---