[CQ-Contest] Re: Filter combos for CW contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Filter combos for CW contesting
From: rbowen@iglobal.net (Ralph Bowen)
Date: Fri Sep 19 02:28:57 1997
Hello Pack:

After years of seeing this question & the resulting answers, I guess I
must have learned wrong.  On a crowded band in a contest, I always use
the narrowest filters I have, which on the FT1000D, the 250 Hz.  And I
crank the VBT down also.  Real skinny.  Lest you guys think   "AHA  we
can get real close to RZ", remember these things:

There are two other controls I use rigorously:  RIT & XIT. I ride the
RIT after every CQ  -  and in the process I learn what is going on
around my frequency, so there's none of this "been here for hours" crap
when someone tries to move in close.  The XIT allows me to let the
newcomer know he's unwelcome!

For S&P, I find the Narrow filter very important for digging out, say,
an S2 KH8/N5OLS off the back of the beam between two loud CQing Eu's
(hadn't been too many lous Eu's in recent years, though).

See you in CW SS,

73,  Gator  N5RZ    rbowen@iglobal.net