[CQ-Contest] Cuba Libre heads south

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cuba Libre heads south
From: jdowning@intelenet.net (John Downing)
Date: Wed Sep 24 19:17:10 1997
Hi there buckarenas and buckaroos,

Once again the Cuba Libre Contesters head south to the sunny
climes of Ambergris Caye, Belize for another CQWW SSB contest.  We
haven't been back to our station at the Belize Yacht Club since
the 1996 ARRL SSB DX contest, having taken a Caribbean detour to
8P9Z for last year's CQWW SSB and passed on the ARRL this year due
to general lack of interest and sunspots.  So who knows what's
left of our antennas?  We'll be arriving a scant 24 hours before
the contest starts so you can bet we'll be doing the one armed
paper hanger thing!  Willing victims this year include Vic KI6IM,
myself, and Tom KM6K.  You might recognize Tom - he's the general
manager of the local Ham Radio Outlet here in San Diego.  After
hearing years of BS from me about how much fun it is to do a
contest from V31DX he's called our bluff.  In retaliation he's
being assigned the all night shift on 40 - Vic and I have claimed the
backup 160 daytime and 10 evening shifts respectively...  So
we'll be rockin and rollin and dishin out the Qs.  Since we only
have a single radio (a TRUE multi-single!!) we're just gonna run
'em and pass on the mult chasing...

Jerry AA6BB has been our QSL manager for years - a thankless job
that he did with humor and great diligence.  We Cuba Libre
Contesters will really miss Jerry.  With his passing we will need
another manager.  Does anybody on the reflector know someone to
fill Jerry's shoes?

best to all,

John W2NA / V31DX
Vic KI6IM