[CQ-Contest] CW Sprint Ramblings & Questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Sprint Ramblings & Questions
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 7 11:34:59 1997
Sept. CW Sprint
W4MR (AA4NC operator):  248 x 46

I am trying to go over my performance (or lack thereof) in last night's
Sprint to figure out just what I need to do to actually improve my score. In
looking at my scores from years ago before I took a leave from operating the
Sprints, I actually did better than my current 240-250 by 45 or 46 that seems
to be my average in the last 3 outings. This was using paper logs, 1 radio,
500 watts less power, and lesser antennas.

Sprint is a very rythmic contest, and it seems that I am having more trouble
establishing the rythm than before. I seem to be able to compete when
answering CQs, but my rate when calling CQs is terrible. I estimate 80% of my
CQs go unanswered. This is the biggest difference that I can remember from
before.
The Top Ten guys ALWAYS seem to have people waiting for them after a QSO - I
imagine very few unanswered CQs there. That is the biggest distinction that I
can see from my perspective. I just don't know how to make it better. I can't
run more power, and my antennas are never going to be much better than I have
now for this contest. Maybe being in eastern NC is more of a handicap than I
thought (hard to work W1-W4 on 20, too far east on 40 and 80)? I've only
operated the Sprint from here at home so I have nothing else station or
geographically to compare it with.
I also took a little more time for accuracy to ask for fills, which will
hopefully pay off in less blown Qs.

I am now using radio #2 to search for stations during the unanswered CQs, but
obviously this is not producing for me as it should. I wonder now if I am
hurting myself by relying on the 2nd radio. For those of you using a 2nd
radio, is it possible I am using it too much?

Station description for perspective:
FT990/AL1200 , Pentium running NA
80: inverted vee @115'
40: 402CD @ 130'
20: 4/4 @ 120'/50' (bottom fixed NE)

Second radio: IC736/LK500ZC
uses Mosley PRO67B @ 70' (20 and 40 only)

My current goal is to get to 300 Qs. I'd like to get your ideas on what are
the major differences between 250 Qs and 300 Qs in this contest, and the
types of things I need to do to get there. It may not be possible from NC,
but there is surely some improvement to be made. I'd like to hear your
ideas...

73 / Tnx,

Will AA4NC