[CQ-Contest] Filter combos for CW contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Filter combos for CW contesting
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu Sep 18 12:48:38 1997
At 03:19 PM 9/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>I've tried 250 Hz and 500  Hz and I prefer the 500 Hz when calling CQ but
>the 250 seems to make digging out a multiplier a little easier at the bottom
>of the band. The best improvement  that I've been able to make was a good
>DSP.
>
>I'm using theTimewave 59+ and just the NR  and AGC features make it worth
>having.  The ability to customize the filtering is an added bonus!   Now I
>just have to fix my 940 as recommeded by John, W4UE and Gene, W3ZZ   before
>the season starts.
>
>73 from Lake Moneysgone,  Dan,   KW4T

I agree.  A 250 Hz filter is to narrow for me.  One of the best filters I've
ever used was between my eares....but sometimes with age that filter
degrades.  I really have learned how to use Band Pass Tuning/IF Shift/and
RIT to help decipher the signals coming through in a pileup.  I'm not all
that impressed with the DSP stuff.  I like to hear some noise.  Makes me
nervous when I can't hear the static.  I start checking coax connectors and
run outside to see if the tower fell down.  But, I haven't fooled around
with DSP enough to really give a critical answer to that facet of the question.

IMHO ... my thoughts.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net