[CQ-Contest] Amplifier For Contest Use

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier For Contest Use
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sun Oct 12 14:24:07 1997
On Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:51:20 -0700, ROBERT WANDERER
<aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us> wrote:

>Considering the following models. Use primarily for contesting (all
>modes: SSB, CW, & RTTY) and for DX pileups, rarely for ragchews
>unless conditions warrant. Other models would be considered too.
>
>Ameritron AL-1200 and AL-1500 (other than the lower drive requirements
>                       and the tube used, what are the differences?)
>
>Alpha 91B

>From sad experience, I can tell you the AL-1200 is not the amp to use
for RTTY contesting.  I smoked the low band tank coil not once but
twice before realizing it is simply under rated.  For CW/SSB it should
be ok.

I now have a 91B and so far, so good.  I've only used it on one RTTY
contest, but all ok.  I did order the optional cooling fan for the
power transformer.  BTW, I don't understand why Alpha makes the fan an
option.  You're spending almost $3000 and they charge an extra $40 so
it will do "brick-on-the-key" like other Alphas?  Bad marketing, in my
opinion.  But it is a great amp.

73, Bill W7TI