[CQ-Contest] Proximity to other contest stn

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Proximity to other contest stn
From: wa2go@erols.com (John Lash)
Date: Sun Oct 12 10:38:45 1997
Hello all,

I have just found a house that I want to buy (in CT) with virtually
unlimited acreage for antennae (5 ac abutting hundreds of acres of
undevelopable woods), but it is exactly 5 miles from another ham who is
also a serious contester.  He would be beaming 90 degrees (due East) to hit
my house, and I would beam 270 degrees to hit him.

>From this part of the country, we beam 30-60 at Europe, and I beam
typically 240 in Sweepstakes.  I know he's a big DX contester, but I'm not
sure about SS.  (I'll be doing both.)

The question is, how far away from one another do we have to be to not
cause problems (rx overload, splatter overload if nearby freq on same band,
etc.)?  What's the difference on the different bands?  This has never been
an issue for me before, so I don't have a sense of what the desirable
minimum distance between us should be.

Yes, it's important enough to me that if there's going to be a serious
problem, I would reconsider whether or not to buy the house.

TIA,

John
WA2GO