[CQ-Contest] Intangibles of the Winners

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Intangibles of the Winners
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sun Oct 12 12:48:48 1997
>in contests even though I wasn't a contester.  Sometimes just one or
>two stations.  But they are the ones that win these contests.
>
>What is it that makes the casual operator stop and work a winning
>contest station?  Besides a catchy name like Tree? -hi

This is something that I have thought about alot over the years.
In order to do well in a contest you must work the casual operators.

You need to have a good signal.  It does help to be the
loudest signal but you need to sound good too. Your
transmit audio needs to sound good.

You need to be friendly - say thank you - be nice - sound upbeat.

You need to keep a good rhythm.

You need to vary your CQing speeds and pause length between CQs.
By slowing down the casual op will be able to copy your callsign.
By listening a bit longer between some CQs you will leave the casual
op a chance to get his radio keyed up - he may be somewhat shy
about calling you.  (This is true on voice as well as CW)
I think that knowing what pace to go is one of the hardest
things to gauge.

You need to be patient and help them through the exchange - explain
the contest to them.

You need to beg for QSOs.

A contest is a performance (Esp. a voice contest) and you need
to do your best to be intresting to listen to.  If you just punch
the DVK key and read your book you will NOT be winning.  The casual
op is doing something else in the shack - fixing a radio, building
a kit, answering QSL card or just listening to the contest.  He will
tune around the bands and find a nice sounding strong station to
listen to while he does this.  Your goal is to get him to come
across the room and give you a call.  By using all of the above points
you can make this happen.  You must explain (during your CQs) that
ANYONE is welcome to call you - even stations NOT in the contest,
even stations that don't know the exchange.  I even go so far as
to explain the information I want as part of my CQs.

Contest operators that have learned how to do the above
without even thinking about it are the operators that
do well in contests.

Seeya in the next contest.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.     "It is hard to be in one place at the same time."