FW: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Query

Subject: FW: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Query
From: jmarchand@ecrm.com (MarchandJohn)
Date: Tue Oct 28 08:49:20 1997
From: MarchandJohn on Tue, Oct 28, 1997 9:00
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Query
To: Anthony Brooks; cq-contest

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to contesting. I've been doing QRP tests for about 20 years. Heres
the basics.

1. Read the rules and understand them.

2. Make post-it notes as to what keys do what on your computer and keyer.

3. If youre using a contest s/w, turn on "no dupes or worknodupes". It'll save
   you time in checking if you wkd the guy b4.

4. Make sure your report is correct (write on a post-it in case you have to
   repeat any portion of it. you can just glance at it.

5. ALONG WITH #1, THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT... Work at your own pace and speed.
   Even if you dont burn up the world, you're out there TO HAVE FUN. AND
   you'll work a whole bunch of states and Canadian provinces...

6. On search and Pounce, work from the bottom of the band and tune up. Most
   others tune from the top-down, so you run into them and work 'em faster.

7. Dont get frustrated if you dont work someone on 2-3 calls, you'll run into
   them again on another pass.

8. 20 will probably be your main band during the day but check 15/10 every
   half hour or so to pick up some mults in the Carib. 40/80 will be hopping
   at night, but dont forget 160.(depending on QRN)

Most of all, have fun and get the feel of contesting. You'll develop your
own operating practices that best fit YOU. I'll be looking for ya on all the
bands-- I'll be running QRP also.

73 es GL,
John K1RC (ex K1CGJ)
35 mi NW of Boston