[CQ-Contest] DSP Boxes for CW Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DSP Boxes for CW Contesting
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Nov 3 13:21:50 1997
It's been some time since the last discussion on any reflector about the
usefulness of outboard DSP boxes for contesting.  Last weekend lent some
new urgency to this question, because the thunderstorm Friday night was
followed by S9+ rain static all night and into Sunday morning - no fun at
all  I don't need extra signal selectivity on CW, and I understand the
limitation imposed by receiver AGC action, but would sure like to find a
way to cope with atmospheric noise and rain static, and to roll off the
high frequencies to reduce fatigue.  Unfortunately a new DSP radio isn't an
option.

I'm looking for any actual experience anyone has had with DSP boxes in
contest use.  Please identify the one you used, and evaluate:

-- Effectiveness against rain static - the steady roar type - and
atmospheric noise.
-- Does the unit have its own AGC, and does it make a difference?
-- Can it both reduce noise and shape the passband simultaneously (at least
a low pass function).

Please reply to me directly and I'll summarize for the reflector.
73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia