[CQ-Contest] IC756: which filter in which IF?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] IC756: which filter in which IF?
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Tue Nov 4 22:52:37 1997
I'm considering buying an IC-756.  I have a question about IF filtering:

The radio allows one optional filter in each IF, 9 MHz and 455 KHz.  I
operate both SSB and CW. Would I be better off putting the 1.8 (or 1.9) KHz
SSB filter in the 9 MHz or 455 KHz IF, and vice-versa for the 500 Hz CW
filter?  It seems to me that I want the CW filter in the 9 MHz IF to keep
everything else out of the passband/AGC, but does that mean there will be a
lot of hiss  because there's no narrow filter at 455 KHz?

I'll summarize the responses if you reply to me and there are enough.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>      http://jjr.ne.mediaone.net/