[CQ-Contest] 1 X 1 Callsigns-Contest Advantage?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1 X 1 Callsigns-Contest Advantage?
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Mon Nov 10 18:17:34 1997
> Well, it looks like the definition of what constitutes a "special event" is
> pretty open, so we have recently seen 1 X 1's showing up in contests.

Well, I still say that loud beats funky any day of the week.  Whereas
there is a certain gee-whiz appeal to 1x1 calls, I believe any
advantage you may create for yourself will be cancelled out by the
overall confusion factor.  When N6AA called me in the CW Sprint in
September, I CQed in his face (the standard treatment for dupes in the
Sprint).  It wasn't until I started CQing in his face that I realized
I had just been called by N6A, not N6AA.  Whoops.

As a side note, when I heard N6O (100th anniversary of the town of
Oakley, CA, home of superstation N6RO) on during CQP it occurred to me
that this could be a real godsend for guys like RO who have boxes and
boxes of unanswered bureau cards.  If they keep using different 1x1
calls for each contest, they can stay one step ahead of the bureau
cards, heh heh heh.

--Trey, N5KO

 -
 ---