[CQ-Contest] CQWW MS

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW MS
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue Nov 11 22:24:52 1997
At 01:44 PM 11/11/97 -0500, W2XX wrote:

>Not so...see the W2A, N2NU and K1NG scores from 1997 CQWW; the KF2ET,
>N3RS and K1NG scores from CQWW 1996.  Personally, I feel that if you
>go beyond 5 ops, you have thinned out your ranks beyond need.  You
>really only need 2 guys (MAYBE 3) up at once.  How many teams can
>really field 6-10 competitive ops for a M/S and not have some
>of the guys bored to tears?
>
>With all due respect to IQ4A etc., more than two stations are a
>luxury, not a necessity.
>
>73, J.P. W2XX

Wrong again J.P.!!!

The right way to do a CQWW multi-single (really Limited Multi) is to have 8
operators and a station capable of supporting a six-band multi-multi. Six
of the operators will be selected for their expertise on one of the six
contest bands, 160 through 10 meters.

Those six operators will be responsible for their specific band and to make
sure they don't get beaten on their band by any other multi-single station.
There will be limited movement between bands by personnel except from short
relief sessions. (ie. the 10 meter op might tune 80 meters for mults while
the 80 meter op runs to the bathroom). If each person remains on the same
band for the duration of the contest he will know who he has worked, remain
familar with conditions, understand the antenna switching setup, etc.

The other two operators are station managers. Their only job is to watch
the six stations and the packetcluster to make sure the right band is
running and the multiplier station is at the right spot of the five
remaining bands. The station managers have absolute authority to tell one
station (band) to stop and another to start. They also have the
responsibility of insuring that there will not be two running or multiplier
stations calling at the same time. And so forth.

The stations managers will alternate depending on how long they want to be
under the pressure of running the show. I think I would prefer to have a
daytime manager and a nighttime manager to use 'highband' and 'lowband'
expertise.

See J.P. With a little creativity you can maximize your effort for the best
possible score and still stay completely within the rules. This is
technology at its best.

Too bad you guys were stuck with a "standard" station, operating
shorthanded, and having to use a terrible call like W2A. (I think that's
what you said before) Otherwise, just think how well you might have done.

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na

 -