[CQ-Contest] Headset mics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset mics
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth Earl Harker)
Date: Sun Nov 23 16:36:16 1997
     This past phone Sweepstakes, the U.T. club started out using a borrowed
headset microphone that early on in the contest we set aside because we
had some problems with it (that's what we get for trying to hack together
interface cables at the last minute, I guess.)  We did OK with the desk mic,
but I would like to get a permanent headset mic setup that we know will work
for us in future operations.  While it would be available for all purpose use,
it's primary raison d'etre would be contesting.

     I'm aware that Heil headset microphones are generally the best, but new
ones are out of our price range, I'm afraid.

     I've put on a pair of the Radio Shack boom mic headphones on in the store
and thought they felt kind of heavy and uncomfortable.  I keep seeing this ad
in the back of QSTs and CQs for a $44.95 boom mic headset kit from Warren
Gregoire & Associates.  Anyone tried this out?  I know it's not likely to be
as nice as Heil, but it would have the advantage of being cheap and easily
replaceable should it "disappear" from the club station (not likely, but
one does have to keep these things in mind - we keep all the "big ticket" items
on security cables, but that's not easily accomplished with headphones.)

      Does anyone know if this boom mic headset is worth the $45?

      Anything in particular we should be aware of before we order one?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page