[CQ-Contest] 80m report from the Auroral Zone

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 80m report from the Auroral Zone
From: janalme@online.no (Jan Almedal)
Date: Tue Dec 2 19:31:05 1997
Hi everybody.

I have been following the comments on 80m conditions during the contest. As
one of the operators of LA8W, let me make some comments of how it worked
out being INSIDE the Auroral zone. And believe me, it was Aurora during the
weekend!

Out of a total of 3616 QSOs, 1160 were made on 80m. We worked 92 countries
and 25 zones. Especially Saturday night was good. We started on 80, and
stayed there for the whole night, mostly with 100+ rates. Multiplier
station took care of the other bands.

Of the 1160 QSOs on 80m, 213 were with USA (plus 13 with Canada). We did
not manage to work z3, and the distribution on call area is as follows:

1:      44
2:      46
3:      40
4:      30
5:      12
6:      0
7:      3
8:      14
9:      19
0:      5

Except for the lack of z3, this is close to a normal distribution of US
stations from here on any band.

Maybe conditions was weird, but at least we managed to work a lot more than
normal on 80m. So at our location (south-eastern Norway) we considered
conditions to be excellent! Of course we noticed the flare at 0503z Sunday,
but overall the band was great.

Our antenna was a vertical, with a 500ft Beverage for listening.

If any of the US stations called us on 80m, without getting answer, we
would appreciate to hear from you.

Our overall score (Multi/Single) ended at about 4 mill, and will be posted
to 3830 when we have gone thru it.

73 de
Jan / LA9HW

- - -