[CQ-Contest] "Desert Warriors" - Scores and Story

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "Desert Warriors" - Scores and Story
From: K3UOC@aol.com (K3UOC)
Date: Fri Dec 5 16:20:22 1997
Contesters:

I am pleased to announce our Team Contesting raw scores for the CQWW CW
Contest.  We are the Desert Warriors (a.k.a. Desert Worriers, Dessert
Warriors) in case you missed that point in the subject line.  Here's how we
did:

* 9K9K, operated by Faisal N. Al-Ajmi 9K2RR (S/O AB HP) 2.0 million
Faisal operated club station 9K9K for the first time in the WW CW.  Given his
400W and the new situation, this is an excellent score!  Thanks to Hamad,
9K2HN for his assistance in passing team contesting information to Faisal.

* HZ1AB, operated by Thomas Carlsson SM0CXU/AB5CQ (SB 20 HP) 0.4 million
With the help of WA9QNN and K5QC, Thomas gained entry to HZ1AB (not an easy
chore these days). Thomas started with excellent rates, giving the new
FT-1000MP a good workout.  At 0830Z Saturday, the log periodic died.  A dipole
was then jury-rigged and performed well until 1645Z Saturday when (Thomas
theorizes) a large vehicle went through the compound, ripping the dipole off
the tower.  All that was left then was the 40 & 80 vertical and Thomas was
forced into S&P mode until 0915Z Sunday when, exhausted from battling Murphy,
he threw in the towel.

* 7Z5OO, operated by Mike Manafo K3UOC/PJ5AA (S/O AB HP) 4.6 million
Approximately 40 hours in the contest and 8 hours at work.  I dream about
those 8 hours. . . I missed runs both days on 10 and 20 and the afternoon LP
to the West Coast (sorry guys).  Apologies for the poor show on 160 as well.
The noise was just brutal here.  On the up-side, this was my best score ever
in the WW and I felt "in the groove" throughout the contest.  40 was
*spectacular* with almost 1400 contacts on 40 alone.

* A45ZN, operated by Tony Selmes G4KLF/ZS1D (S/O AB HP) 1.5 million
Tony, in case you didn't know, is the Radio Instructor at A47RS, the Royal
Omani Amateur Radio Society.  This has to be one of the most interesting
positions in hamdom!  And Muscat is a fascinating place, as well.  Thanks to
Tony for that excellent score for the Desert Warriors.

* A45XR, operated by Chris Darbrowski SP5EXA/A71CW (S/O AB HP) 6.1 million
Chris was out of the country prior to the contest, flew back, did his thing,
then flew out again.  Kind of like a guest operator at his own station!  Chris
is a marvel--what a great operator!  There are no 100 foot towers at A45XR;
just wires and tremendous skill.

So the bottom line is 14.6 million points for the Desert Warriors (a.k.a.
Desert Worriers, Dessert Warriors).  We throw down the gauntlet to "Neiger's
Tigers", "Team Nippon", "Team Hand Key" and all the others.  Post those team
scores!

Thanks to my fellow Warriors--excellent work!  Thanks to all who worked us.  A
special thanks to HZ1HZ, Ahmed Zaidan, who went out of his way to find us and
pass those needed HZ multipliers.  Team Contesting is a blast!  It really got
us pumped up to do our best.

73, Mike Manafo
K3UOC@7Z5OO

http://members.aol.com/k3uoc/index.htm