[CQ-Contest] 1 station, 2 callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1 station, 2 callsigns
From: W2XL@aol.com (W2XL)
Date: Wed Dec 10 14:05:04 1997
This is in reference to the post from W9XR about the W3GH and W9XR multi-op
during the ARRL 160 Contest. If this was done from 1 station, I hope that the
scores will not be submitted as other than check-logs.   December QST has
published "General Rules for All ARRL Contests" starting on page 100.
Rule 3.3 states: One operator may not use more than one callsign from any
given location during the contest period.
Rule 3.5 states in part: A transmitter used to contact one or more stations
may
not be used under any pother call during the contest period.

I think this plainly prohibits what was done in this case. Last year some west
coast stations tried this, because the ARRL 160 rules did not include this
rule.
Their scores were allowed. I believe the ARRl fixed this problem with the
publication
of the General Rules in Dec. QST.

This type of operation is wrong for a few other reasons also. It denies a
legitimate
entry their rightful place in Division or Section results. It unfairly adds to
Club score
totals and may influence the outcome of club competition.

I strongly disagree this contest is too long.  It is not just about who can
produce the
highest rate. Finding multipliers and stations that appear only on the second
night
is part of the fun.  If you don't like the fact that your rate is way down the
second
night, then quit. Take your significant other out to dinner and be satisfied
with a
100k score. (which isn't bad)

                                                             73, Bob , W2XL

                                                                  W2XL@aol.com