[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10m States?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10m States?
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Thu Dec 11 22:43:22 1997
Good morning,
Are we back into the golden years of good propagation? - Is the
upturn of cycle 23 underway? Will the 10m polar path, and long paths
reopen in 1997?  These questions and many others will be answered
in the ARRL 10m contest December 13-14.

But please, please, pretty please can we have phonetics instead
of long names for the North American States and Provinces?

Explanation: In the CW section W4ZR will send the exchange-
* 599 FL*.  So in the phone section can we have the same letters-
*59 Fox Lima*

For most DX stations it is hard to copy long names in the pileups,
and Mississippi, Missouri, Minnisota, Michigan and Maine sound
awfully similar when you only hear the first part of the state name.

And when we get the full name, it may take an effort to convert to
the approved postal reference: can we all remember the differences
between Alabama. Arkensas and Alaska (guess which is AL or AK).

Remember on SSB that if you give us 59 Mike Sierra, the *MS* goes
right into CT, but Mississippi doesn't fit.

Good luck in the contest,
Martin ZL1ANJ