[CQ-Contest] Stew Perry Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Stew Perry Contest
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Thu Dec 11 12:13:25 1997
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Spike Lazar wrote:

> Contesters,
>
> The Stew Perry Contest will be upon us in a few weeks and I've
> been thinking about operating qrp and have some general questions.
>
> W3GH does not have 5 watt slugs for the watt meters. How can I
> accurately determine that I'm running less than 5 watts output?

Buy a slug.

I tend say that anyone who is truly interested in operating QRP on Topband
is probably a trustworthy person, who's good-faith estimate of output
based on whatever wattmeter is available is "good enough".

If someone is determined to claim QRP while using more power, he will.
If you operate with 5.5 watts instead of 5.0 watts due to meter inaccuracies,
I'll argue with anyone who tries to reclassify you to a higher-power category!

> Also where is the acceptable placement of the watt meter?

I like mine at eye-level, next to the amplifier!

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!