[CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: dupes & RTTY
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Jan 9 10:04:19 1998
At 11:41 AM 1/8/98 -0600, Doug Smith wrote:
>Re: sending off dupes..  On CW, understand that a fair percentage of the
>folks you work can't copy 100% at the speed you're sending.  Many of them
>only got your call & exchange because they listened to your last 5-10 QSOs &
>assembled enough fills to count it.  Send something unexpected like "B4SRI"
>(which may not even make sense to a non-contester who *can* copy 100% at
>your speed!) and you've lost them.

Good point ... for that matter, think of all the abbreviations that we use
daily on CW that depend on English language homophones -- like B4 = before,
BCNU = be seeing you, etc.  At best, these are not intuitive for a
non-native-speaker, and at high speed....

MC et AB!

73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia