[CQ-Contest] Remote listening

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote listening
From: aalaun@ibm.net (Fred Laun K3ZO)
Date: Sun Jan 11 11:03:04 1998
KF9YL wrote:

>Kenwood had the KSS system that
>allows you to operate your HF rig from an HT.  Imagine the
>possibilities.  Operate from anywhere in your house.  Better yet, using
>a laptop, operate a contest (or just rag chew) from your backyard,
>poolside... I dont have the KSS, but it looks neat.

The idea is not so new, at least as far as remote receive is concerned.

In the 1950's, having just turned 16 and thereby spending a lot of time
using my newfound driving privileges and finding that they were cutting
into my ham radio time, since I could not yet get my folks to kick in for a
mobile rig, I took the cover off  the IF can of my RME-69 receiver,
readjusted the IF frequency to 530 KHz from 455, wound a coil of wire over
the IF can, connected it to my 80 meter dipole, and, bingo!, I could listen
to the Badger Emergency Net on 3950 (in the AM days) while driving all over
my little Wisconsin town with the car radio tuned to 530 KHz.

73, Fred