[CQ-Contest] Contests on 30, 17, or 12

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contests on 30, 17, or 12
From: W2CE@prodigy.net (W2CE)
Date: Mon Jan 12 13:58:03 1998
> I need to add one more statement about these bands.  The current
> international regulations prohibit organized contests on these bands.
> This was part of getting the bands.  I have heard ARRL Field day stations
> operating 17.
>
> Dave K4JRB

Somewhere the idea has grown and been announced beyond what was
determined.

There are no International regulations regarding the prohibition of
contesting on the WARC bands. I'd be the first to recant that if someone
can quote me a section of Part 97 that says so.

What does exist is an agreement by the IARU member societies that they
strongly reccomend that we do not operate or sponsor contests on these
bands. This purely a voluntary proposal. Fortunately it has been honored
well.

Better than an organized contest for these bands and the high impact
displeasure they create, we need to suggest and promote more use of the
bands. Not every QSO need be one creditable by DXCC. Users of 30 meters
have been able to use a band with fantastic DX ablity and little in the
way of DX cops. The best experience lately was copying VK0IR running
stateside for about 3 hours with no QRM, everyone waiting his turn, and
staying another 10 minutes with no answers to make sure no one was left.
A peaceful pileup that anyone who wanted could have joined.

For many years the VHF/UHF bands had activity nights to get activity
going, maybe we could designate evenings for each band. We don't all
have to be on at once but we can create enough activity to enjoy a new
outlook on these bands.

       73, Bob, W2CE

   Robert Reed, W2CE                        W2CE@prodigy.net
   1991 Route 37 West - Lot 109             W2CE@aol.com