[CQ-Contest] Portable Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable Generators
From: km0l@tfs.net (Steve Lufcy)
Date: Mon Jan 12 01:37:53 1998
Howard-
I have a 4 kw Generac that I bought from a hardware store. I could power up
half the city with the thing if I wanted, but it is subject to power spikes
and misses a lick or two when it gets damp in the morning dew. Also, the
thing is loud as heck!
Our city fire dept lets us use their 3 kw Coleman during Field Day and that
one has none of the above problems. The AC is clean and steady, it runs
good, and it is not nearly as loud as my Generac. It also has a much larger
gas tank and will run for almost 10 hours before needing service (the
Generac only runs for about 3 hours).
The things I mentioned here are the things I would look for and compare if
I were buying a new generator today.
73 de KM0L Steve in KC