[CQ-Contest] RE: Generators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Generators
From: pelliott@flash.net (Paul M. Elliott)
Date: Wed Jan 14 11:52:22 1998
Honda generators are very quiet, and very reliable.  Most of the =
building contractors in this neck of the woods (who are otherwise very =
much buy-American) have Hondas.  I was once on a site where I knew the =
power mains hadn't yet been hooked up, but the crew was using a portable =
table saw and a couple of circular saws.  When the tools weren't in use, =
I couldn't hear a generator.  When I looked around, I found a pair of =
Hondas around the corner of the building purring away.  You had to get =
pretty close before you were really aware of them -- they weren't any =
louder than a lawnmower at idle.  Also, while I have no personal =
experience on this point, I understand the Hondas are among the quietest =
in terms of RF output. =20

Among the least expensive, but VERY noisy, both from an engine and RF =
standpoint, are the Colemans with Tecumseh engines.  Even an oversized =
muffler doesn't solve the engine noise problem completely.  The =
low-frequency components of the noise are still highly annoying, even =
inside a well-insulated building with windows closed.

73,
Paul Elliott N3GPU
Westminster, MD