[CQ-Contest] Radio travel / Customs hints (long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Radio travel / Customs hints (long)
From: n4gn@iglou.com (Tim Totten, N4GN)
Date: Sat Jan 17 12:59:48 1998
This is EXCELLENT stuff!  Will really covered the subject.  Wish I had
read this before I learned these things through trial and error myself!  I
have only one small thing to add . . .

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, AA4NC wrote:

> 6. Be prepared to post 100% bond for your equipment.
<snip>
> Be aware that this money must be paid in cash or traveler's checks -
> they DON'T take American Express! Insist on detailed receipts with the
> requisite rubber stamps, and you should have no problems getting your
> money back when you leave. I've found this to be a great form of
> "insurance" that guarantees that the equipment will come through. It's
> like a bribe, only better - you get the money back!

The percentage of the bond is usually negotiable.  The most I've ever paid
is about 40%.  My technique is to very politely (Will is right--PLEASE
don't be an Ugly American!) point out that the more money I have to leave
as a bond deposit, the less money I have to spend on tourist things while
I'm in the country.  Give the appearance that you're kinda on a tight
budget (which is no acting job, in my case!), and hadn't really expected
to have to leave a deposit.  This will normally play in countries with
significant tourism industries.

The only other problem I've had in this area is paying with travellers'
checks.  I once left a deposit of a few hundred dollars in travellers'
checks.  The problem was that I had to sign the checks, of course, before
handing them over.  Then, when I was leaving the country, they wouldn't
just give me the checks back.  They insisted on cashing the checks in the
local currency.  Since I had no plans to return to this country in the
near future, I then had to convert this stack of local bills back to US$,
losing a few bucks in the exchange rates and fees.  I suppose the same
thing could have happened had I paid the bond in US$ cash.

That was the same day I got pulled off the plane after the doors had
already been closed, and was taken to the interrogation/bomb detonation
room.  That's when I learned it pays to know the name and phone
number of the country's Minister of Communications.  But that's another
story . . .

73/happy travels!

Tim Totten, n4gn@iglou.com
http://www.iglou.com/n4gn/