[CQ-Contest] Re: Future for DOS programs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Future for DOS programs
From: wes@prysm.net (Wes Attaway)
Date: Sun Jan 18 22:46:57 1998
During the course of this thread several people have said they don't see
much need to move to Win98, even implying that to do so would be to invite
trouble.  I have been using various beta versions of Win98 for several
months (now on Beta 3) and can see a number of reasons to run out and get
it as soon as you can.  First, even the Beta version is much more stable
than Win95 ..... it rarely crashes and if a program does stop responding
Win98 normally makes a smooth recovery.  Second, the user interface
incorporates numerous new features that collectively add a lot of operating
efficiency to the system once you get used to them.  Third, a number of new
system services are (or will be) supported, including the Universal Serial
Bus (USB).  The USB has been something of a flop up to now because no
operating system supports it.  This should change fairly rapidly once Win98
is released.  I think Win98 is already a much better system than Win95 and
it isn't even finished.  Currently here at my house, we have a small NT
network running with a Win95 WS, a Win98 WS, a Win NT Workstation, and an
NT server.  The network is mostly for my computer consulting and service
business, but I have the hamshack tied into it.  I alternate between Win95
and Win98 here in the shack ...... mostly to get experience with the
differences between them.  I can tell you that Win98 is the way to go, if
you are running Windows or DOS software.  NT Workstation is real nice, but
I have run into problems with it in several ham radio programs, including
some that send CW via the serial or parallel port.