[CQ-Contest] Zen and the Art of Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Zen and the Art of Contesting
From: W1HIJ@contesting.com (W1HIJ--Bill)
Date: Tue Jan 27 13:04:16 1998
de Fred, K3ZO

>All I'm trying to
>say to them is that, instead of trying to find a new category somewhere
>which may allow them to win something or get bragging rights among their
>peers, they might just shift gears and learn to enjoy the inner fulfillment
>that comes with savoring the contest of the moment for its other qualities.

-------------------------------
Fred's point is perhaps the most important re contesting that I have read
in the past year and half (that's how long I've been reading this stuff).

Because contesting is, in a very curious way, a solitary pursuit for most
of us, (even though the intent is to communicate with others) the pleasure
derived is also solitary and very personal. This I think, is what lies
behind the advice given so many times that setting objectives for an effort
is an important part of contest planning.

Tactical planning of course is based on objectives, but at least for me
their most important function is establishing benchmarks so that I can not
only savor their accomplishment, but also the process of reaching them as
time and effort accumulate.

Thanks Fred for the reminder--- and I'll listen for the sound of one paddle
clapping...

73 from Grasshopper,

Bill, W1HIJ
Newport Beach, CA, DM13bo