[CQ-Contest] EAST vs. WEST in ARRL Sweepstakes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] EAST vs. WEST in ARRL Sweepstakes
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 18:33:01 1998
In a message dated 98-01-31 12:39:08 EST, n4kg@juno.com writes:

> Overlooked is the fact that 40 meters blankets the whole
>  country well after eastern sunrise, often as late as local
>  NOON.  This is especially beneficial on SSB where the
>  bothersome European broadcast stations disappear
>  after the early morning hours.

     Spoken like a true East Coaster. Whereas a funky dipole on 40 can work
the whole East Coast, those of us on the Left Coast can only pray to work a
few Q's on 40. This is particularly true on SSB where there are only a few
'channels' available. A channel being a frequency that doesn't have a
broadcast station on it. Since they're all occupied, trying to get any sort of
run going on 40 is largely futile. Personally since I normally run A (100w)
class, I stay on 20 until it's gone (and I've worked the easy Pacific at that
point) and then go right to 75M. Then I work the close zones and only go to
bed after I've worked Bip in SF section (usually the last W6).

      (BTW, Bip, W6BIP, was pretty frail looking at Fresno last year. I
understand that he's had medical problems for awhile. Our birthdays are only 3
days apart. He's usually late getting on for phone SS because Elsie takes him
out for his birthday. Here's hoping he's around for a bunch more years.)

>  If more eastern USA contesters stayed on the low bands
>  later in the mornings, I believe they would be rewarded
>  with higher rates, higher contact totals, and still work all
>  (or nearly all) sections.

      Why stay on the low bands when perhaps 10M is open. The first year that
there were 10M SSB privileges for Techs, W7WA went there and stayed until the
band closed. He worked 800 Q's on 10M. Who needs the hassle on 40 when you can
go to 10M?

>  BTW, when you DO go to the higher bands, it is VERY
>  beneficial to have a LOW tribander or monobaners
>  (preferably 35 to 40 ft) to provide coverage to the closer
>  skip regions.  For example, from north Alabama, my
>  TH7 at 40 ft is 20 dB stronger into W1 on 20 meters
>  than my TH6 at 80 ft due to the pattern null of an 80 ft
>  high antenna at 800+ miles.

      I totally agree. Hating to disclose ANY contesting secrets, the "secret
weapon" at W6GO is a KT34A at 35 feet. High angle is a killer, right, Jim?

73,  Steve  K7LXC