[CQ-Contest] What will happen to our contest devices?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] What will happen to our contest devices?
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Thu Feb 5 10:37:05 1998
My good friend Jim said:
> Thus the
> system will come with ISA slots, but no devices using them.
> Obviously, the customer can add ISA devices.  I believe in the
> short run this will actually be an advantage to hams because
> it will free up resources on the ISA bus like IRQs.

I wish that were true, but I fear the opposite.  Already, most new
PC's and replacement (high end) motherboards come with maybe one
or two ISA slots.  That's not *available* slots, but the sum total
of ISA slots in the machine.  The rest of the slots, assuming a tower
or large deskptop (not a slimline) case, are PCI bus.  Yes, you
have 5 or 6 PCI slots available and maybe an AGP slot for a graphics
card.

I wonder when LZ engineering is releasing the new PCI DVP board?

What Jim said about IRQ's however, is right on the money.

73, J.P. W2XX

J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."