[CQ-Contest] Novices/Technicians/Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Novices/Technicians/Contesting
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sat Feb 28 10:07:09 1998
Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph writes:

>On the flip side of the coin:, get off our duffs, get on the Novice
>bands, contact those Novices that are trying to improve their code
>speed, and upgrade, and give them QSOs; go out and recruit youngsters
>(that have upgraded) into the wonders of the challenge of contesting
>and evangelize our sport of contesting (and it is sport!) to these
>and other General and above hams.  Go to the local clubs and give talks
>on the wonders of contesting and of talking to hams all over the whole
>world, not just in our back yard via the local 2 meter repeater.  Do
>everything we can to increase other's enthusiasm for the sport and
>avocation.  But please don't open the flood gates just to get a drink
>of water.

Now on this point you are right on -- the non-CW Techs can
all get on the 50 Mhz and above bands and they have FULL privilages
on these bands.

We have contests on the 50 Mhz and above bands - if you really
want to get growth in contesting I think that you can do it
by showing them how much fun it can be in the VHF/UHF bands as
this is something they can do with their current liscense.
Then you can show then the same can be done on the HF bands.

You should also show them HF contesting - invite them over
to operate - the University of Texas Amateur Radio clubs
trys to do this in every contest they operate. In the last
VHF contest they even had a non-ham on the air making
contacts. This is a wonderful way to expose all this
fun we have to the new comer.

--

George Fremin III          "You give me a $10,000 custom guitar
Austin, Texas                and Chet Atkins a $200 discount