[CQ-Contest] The QSOs that weren't

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The QSOs that weren't
From: W2CE@prodigy.net (W2CE)
Date: Sat Mar 7 14:58:09 1998
> The answer, I believe, lies somewhat deeper than the usual abridged rules
> that appear from time to time. In the General Rules for all ARRL
> Contests, ARRL states that call signs must be sent, received,
> acknowledged and logged properly by EACH station for a complete QSO. (I
> must send mine, I must send yours and vice-versa.)

According to the FCC rules, American amateurs must identify every 10
minutes or at the close of each QSO. When I pointed this out to ARRL
about 10 years ago I was pointed to several other interpretations of
what is the start and end of a QSO including the far away assumption
that the entire contest was one big QSO only to be ID'd every 10
minutes.  What's your call ?

Imagine 4,000 entries but counting only as 1 QSO point.

Far from reality.

If you want a QSO point, you must identify after working it.

If we can just blow past FCC rules on identifying, and still sign that
we have observed the amateur rules of our country, then we need a
uniform ID base where the callsign is included as a required part of the
exchange as in SS. Granted there are a few failing to include the ID in
sequence in the SS also.

--
       73, Bob, W2CE

   Robert Reed, W2CE                        W2CE@prodigy.net