[CQ-Contest] Full Sized 3 Element 40M Yagi (summary)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Full Sized 3 Element 40M Yagi (summary)
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon Mar 23 09:12:14 1998
A few months ago I posed the question "Who is selling a full sized 3
element 40 meter yagi?".  The response was just this side of nil.

It turns out that DX Engineering was, but is not selling yagi's any
more.  I got the feeling from talking to Bill that he would do a custom
job if I wasn't in a hurry.

Force-12 offered to do a custom job based on their elements for their 80
meter product.

Texas Towers sells the aluminum and Gerald (K5GW) offered to help with
the design.

I settled on M-Squared.  Mostly because I had received some good
recommendations from friends who had recently purchased their 3 element
80 meter yagi.  M2's normal 3 element full sized 40 is one that is on a
4" boom and rated for 125MPH.  I had planned to turn this beast with a
TIC Ring.  And though TIC sells an adaptor for 4" booms, I felt a 3" boom
was more than enough for my installation.

Mike did a custom design for me on a 3" boom.  According to YagiStress
the antenna will survive 85MPH winds (the reflector being the weakest
link).  I received the antenna last week and began to piece it together
this weekend.  Everything looks great.  They did a very professional job
of designing the antenna.  I can't see any shortcuts anywhere.
Everything is stainless and the nuts are almost all self locking.

I hesitate posting what it cost me, because I paid them to do the work of
customizing this antenna.  I'm sure they would charge less to someone
else now that the design is complete.  I suggest contacting M2 if you are
interested.

Of course only time will tell how it holds up.  But if I get 85MPH winds
at my place, I'll be a month clearing trees before I see the antennas.  :)

73

Bill, W4AN