[CQ-Contest] Power Line Interference, addendum

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Power Line Interference, addendum
From: W2CE@prodigy.net (W2CE)
Date: Wed Mar 25 08:48:35 1998
I found that contacting the engineering department of my power company
woeked wonders. GPU (formerly JCP&L) not only has been very responcieve
to complaints but actually calls every year or so to make sure it hasn't
returned.

I had a minor trob;em beaming Africa which was taken care of in 2 days.
One to find it and another for the work crew to appear.

A major problem I found while working mobile was a huge S9+40 from the
high voltage lines in town which wiped out 20 meters for 2 miles along a
major road. Everyone said forget it, the amount of work and cost will
not be approved.

After 1 telephone complaint to GPU and informing the Sherrif's
Department and local Fire Department that when in the area their
communications would likely be effected and squelched out by the noise
caused action.

Parking in the shopping center where the cause of the noise was worst,
the mobile is now clean as can be expected of noise.

The main objective is to get your problem to people who understand it,
not just that your power may be out. My local company's engineering
department has done as much as any company could be expected to do.

--
       73, Bob, W2CE

   Robert Reed, W2CE                        W2CE@prodigy.net
   1991 Route 37 West - Lot 109             W2CE@aol.com