[CQ-Contest] Power Line Interference

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Power Line Interference
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Wed Mar 25 23:34:36 1998
At 09:08 AM 3/25/98 -0500, Steve Bookout wrote:
>At 01:00 AM 3/25/98 EST, you wrote:
>>As an electric power utility employee in charge of this type of situation,
>>I readily endorse this procedure.  Do all you can locally, even being
>>involved in the actual noise source locating together with the line crew.
>>After complete and thorough efforts directly with the utility fail to solve
>>the problem, then by all means write a NICE letter to the authorities.  73
>>de Milt, N5IA
>>

>Yea, right....but, what can you REALLY do when they aren't responsive and
>stone wall you to death.

TOUGH CALL, STEVE.  IN THE END THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CAUSE INTERFERENCE
TO LICENSED SERVICES, SO TAKE IT TO THE FCC.  IF YOU DON'T GET A RESPONSE
THERE, THEN RIGHT ON UP THE BEAUROCRATIC LADDER TO YOUR CONGRESSMEN AND
SENATORS.  AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID, THE MORE PEOPLE YOU CAN GET INVOLVED,
ESPECIALLY ANYONE CONNECTED WITH PUBLIC SERVICE, WILL REALLY ENHANCE YOUR
CASE.

>I moved out of N. VA seven years ago to the Fredericksburg area.  The last
>3 years I was there I had 20 db over S-9 noise on 80 that only quit 3 times
>in those 3 years!  The last 18 months they paid an employee his salary to
>walk the 500KV line, from tower to tower, each day in order to show they
>were working on the problem.  I have known this employee for the utility
>for 13 years, these were his instructions, the reasons behind them, and I
>have no reason not to believe him.  It was cheaper to pay his salary than
>to fix the problem.

SOUNDS PLAUSIBLE.  TRANSMISSION LINES A WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL WHEN IT
COMES TO SHUTTING THEM DOWN FOR ANY KIND OF REPAIR.  I WILL SAY THAT
TYPICALLY RF INTERFERENCE DOES NOT COME FROM THE T-LINES.  IN MOST CASES IT
WILL BE FROM THE DISTRIBUTION CIRCUITS.

>The FCC is next to useless.  Although the field engineer who finally showed
>up 18 after 18 months, told me he knew they were purposely dragging things
>out, he could start any procedure for levying fines because they could show
>they were actively working on it.  In principle anyway.

TIME FOR THE PEOPLE YOU PUT IN WASHINGTON TO GET INTO THE FRAY!!!

>State Corporation commission is useless as well.  It's the 'tail wagging
>the dog' story.  This is the largest public utility in Virginia.

MUST BE DIFFERENT THAN THE PSCs IN THE TWO STATES I DEAL WITH.  HERE THEY
ARE ELECTED OFFCIALS AND THEY ARE VERY PRO-CONSUMER.  THEY RELISH THE
CHANCE TO GET AFTER THE UTILITIES FOR ANY LITTLE THING.  IT IS THE PSC THAT
HAS TO APPROVE THEIR RATES.

IT MAY ALL GO SOUTH IN A HANDBASKET WHEN THIS DEREGULATION THING GETS INTO
FULL SWING.  THEN THERE WILL NOT BE JUST THE ONE COMPANY TO POINT A FINGER
AT.  ONE COMPANY WILL OWN THE LINES, ANOTHER THE METERS, SOMEONE ELSE WILL
READ THE METERS, SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO THE BILLING.  AND THE POWER FLOWING
IN THE CONDUCTORS WILL BE FROM 40 SOURCES.  YOU AND YOUR 5 NEIGHBORS ON THE
BLOCK WILL MOST LIKELY BE PURCHASING YOUR KWH FROM 6 DIFFERENT ENERGY
VENDORS, JUST AS YOU DO NOW WITH YOUR TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES.

SEVEN YEARS TO RETIREMENT.  COME ON TRAIN!!!!

>The two other hams still living there are continuing to have to put up with
>the noise.
>
>Now, here at my new QTH, there is a perforated insulator on one of the 500
>KV towers about 2 miles from me which is causing grief.  They have located
>the problem.  Actually, it wasn't hard; you can hear it from about a half
>mile away!  I'm not talking about the corona 'buzz' associated with these
>transmission lines.  And, it's between me and Europe.  It's S-5 to 7 here
>with the EU stack on 15; a bit less on ten and it goes up from there on the
>lower bands.
>
>The utility has been making and breaking repair dates since the fall.  Has
>the same ring to it as in the N. VA experience.  Couldn't do it cuz it was
>too cold...Couldn't do it cuz it was too hot....  I guess the perfect time
>for doing it is like a North Dakota summer...one day a year.

THAT IS PROBABLY TRUE.  IF THEY CANNOT SHUT THE LINE DOWN TO WORK IT COLD,
THEN THEY HAVE TO DO IT ENERGIZED.  THAT IS TOUCHY BUSINESS EVEN IN THE
BEST OF WEATHER.

>This is a real, identified, problem with a utility which has proven itself
>dishonest and deceitful, in a state where the state corp commission gets
>it's marching orders from the utility.

REAL TOUGH, BUT SEE THE COMMENTS ABOVE.  AT SOME LEVEL YOU'LL GET ACTION.
BUT THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION STILL IS TO WORK WITH A LOCAL PERSON IF AT
ALL POSSIBLE.

IF ANYONE WANT'S TO COMMUNICATE WITH ME ON THIS SUBJECT, I WILL BE GLAD TO
RESPOND TO YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION.  E-MAIL ME DIRECT.  73 DE MILT, N5IA