[CQ-Contest] Contest rules, times, points.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest rules, times, points.
From: Ve3bmv@aol.com (Ve3bmv)
Date: Mon Apr 6 11:34:57 1998
Reading some mail on WPX rules changes etc., here is some observation from one
who has "contested" almost since day 1 after getting ham radio license in '58,
and have been sponsor of some contests and "fathered" few rules:

1. on 30-hour WPX: I loved 30 hours, because it was close fit to the duration
of just about any band openings in "normal" lattitudes. ("Equatorians" get it
almost 24 hrs a day.) It gave us "northerners" chance to show that we could
get close or even beat the "Carribeatniks" by maximizing our operating when
the bands were open. 30 hours, or 15 hours a day is about the optimum and
works well also for single band categories. There is no question that stations
close to the equator have huge advantage of longer openings. This is why I
loved (stil do) WPX - it was fast, required fine tuning your operation with
upcoming propagation forecast. 36 hours screwed it up.
I vote for 30 hour WPX and off periods as they used to be. It rewards better
operators over CQers with longer openings. I think it would bring more people
in, there are more of us up North, and it would give us fairer shot at the
record tables. (No need to go South?)

2. on ZERO pointers:  I think nowadays to have zero points for own country is
completely unnecessary. What does it do/serve? Preventing QRM? Force us to
work DX? I think this is an inheritance from the old days, when trend was to
promote working DX.
Really it penalizes countries with denser ham population. They should be
rewarded, not penalized. Besides, creates problems with UBN, logging etc.
I vote for 1 point for own country QSOs, both in WW and WPX. This would
generate more activity and especially on low bands.

3. Move WPX CW to April. May date is too late, propagation is more lively
around equinox.
I vote for moving WPX CW date one month up.

Anyone can make their own contest - time frames withing existing contests, but
we need unified and good, sense making rules, so those who like to go for
blood and records (they are the moving force in pushing the envelope and
technology) can do so on a reasonable, leveled platform. There is no point of
moaning about "unfair rules". There always is advantage for someone, be it
heavy density of hams, being remote, being South, being in NE, etc. Those dead
serious about top scores would go where it is advantageous. Sometimes it is
possible to do "impossible" - even more fun. I managed to beat VE7/6 dominance
in 20m and up WW and WPX Canadian records from VE3 by designing and using my
"killer" Razor Beams (from 46x120ft city lot). It felt better than having 80m
world record, because for some 30 years, there was no east coast VE in the
record tables.

I communicated the above suggestions year ago to N8BJQ, the replay was: "well,
will see...." I suggest to grab him in Dayton (get case of 807's), or bring it
up at the contest forum, maybe we can swing it. I believe it would be a change
for better. (The only drawback would be adjustment to record tables, but maybe
with 1 pointer for home QSOs, this would eliminate any need for prorating some
records made in 36hr era.)

Contesting is fun
- beating the records, or just giving the points to deserving!

Thank you for your points (even zeroes)!
73 de Yuri K3BU, VE3BMV, P40A