[CQ-Contest] Re: WPX Scoring Change for 1999!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: WPX Scoring Change for 1999!
From: RThompson@factorysoft.com (Randy Thompson)
Date: Fri Apr 17 18:33:29 1998
Don't worry - there aren't enough USA contesters interested in WPX to
make much of a difference.

The EU-to-EU QSOs actually get an advantage with the doule point values
on the LF bands!

Randy, K5ZD

From: Charles Fulp" <k3ww@fast.net (Charles Fulp)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX a little more food for thought

I have avoided this thread, since I never put in a really serious effort in
the WPX.
I have operated quite a few hours a few times, but never prepared for it, or
strategize
it the way I do the CQWW or ARRL DX.  My reason is the same as K1DG's #1.  I
truly admire
guys that live where the weather is always nice, but still work hard in
contests.

After seeing that the rules have been changed, and remembering the extensive
discussion
on 0 pointers last year, perhaps these discussions are important.

I do have 2 WPX plaques, and how they were won might provide a little more
food for
thought on the issues under consideration.

Plaque #1 was won under the OLD rules.  Back in 1980, prior to my retirement
from the
world of Multi Multi to the laid back world of tribanders,  my team put
together a
major M/M effort in the WPX CW contest.  We not only took advantage of being
on the
east coast to win the USA, we managed to out score the best M/M entrants
from all over
the world. The WPX CW MM plaque is my only M/M win on the world or national
level and
represented  the end of my m/m quest.  (I sold the hill top shortly
thereafter)

Plaque #2 was won in 1995.  I purchased a QRP +, 5 watt transceiver, and
wanted to check
it out before Field Day.  I entered the WPX CW contest QRP.  This was under
the new rules
but I only ended up with 15 hours of actual operation, and with limited off
times about
18 official hours.  AA2U decided to take off that weekend, and I guess he
had scared off
much of the other competition.  The new plaque is smaller and no longer
octagonal.
I have no conclusions, just some things to think about.

Under the old rules it was possible for a USA Multi Multi to win the world
in the WPX CW.
Under the new rules an east coast QRP station could win the USA operating
less than 50% of
the allowed hours.  If someone with a better combination of location,
equipment and operator
skills, decides to work as hard and long as you do in any given class, you
will have to
be lucky to win.  Persistence pays off, sometimes circumstances permit the
unlikely.

CU in the CW WPX (for more hours if it rains)
73 Chas K3WW