[CQ-Contest] COPS CONTEST CLUB (LONG)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] COPS CONTEST CLUB (LONG)
From: k6bz@c-zone.net (Jerry Boyd)
Date: Wed Apr 29 16:04:36 1998
Several recent mentions of the COPS CONTEST CLUB in CQ and QST (relative to
our sponsoring a special event station -W6P- to commemorate National Police
Week) have prompted many e-mail questions about the Club itself.  Here is
some information.

The COPS CONTEST CLUB consists of peace officers (active or honorably
retired) who are licensed radio amateurs and who like to contest.  Also
eligible are RACES/ARES operators who assist law enforcement agencies in
emergencies.

The Club was founded in 1988 by a group of peace officer-hams from the
Coronado, CA Police Department.  Many had been involved in the production
of the ARRL disaster preparedness videotape entitled "At Any Moment" and
all were involved in contesting to some degree or another.  Membership now
includes active duty officers from a number of different law enforcement
agencies (local, state and federal) as well as some retirees (like me) and
some ARES/RACES operators.

Because members are spread out over a large area, we do not hold regular
meetings but instead keep in touch on the air or by e-mail.  We very
occasionally put out a newsletter.  Members will sometimes submit their
contest scores on behalf of the Club.  At least once a year the Club call,
N6UI, is used in a contest.

If you are a current or honorably retired law enforcement officer or
ARES/RACES operator affiliated with a law enforcement agency you are
eligible to join.  All you need do is provide the pertinent data (Name,
Call, Address, e-mail address, agency of affiliation) via my call book
address or e-mail (K6BZ@c-zone. net).  If you want a membership certificate
suitable for framing one is available for $2.00 (covers cost and postage)
from me as well.

The COPS CONTEST CLUB is an ARRL Affiliated CLub in good standing, with
current headquarters in Shasta County, CA,

73
Jerry Boyd
K6BZ
Chief of Police, retired.