[CQ-Contest] Re: "Local Club" radius discussion

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: "Local Club" radius discussion
From: nt5c@easy.com (John Warren)
Date: Wed May 13 03:32:57 1998
Jim N6IG wrote:

 |If you think we have strong opinions on this, you are correct.

So do we - Please read on.

 |A compromise "solution" has been suggested to this issue which I
 |personally don't have a problem with.  Perhaps a new club category
 |could be created between "Local" and "Medium" called "Regional".
 |It could have say 25 members within a radius of maybe 40 miles or so.
 |In the respect that it doesn't tinker with existing rules, I support it.

This is the solution we strongly favor in Central Texas. By numbers I would
guess we are a typical "Local" club, but geographically a 20-mile radius
cuts out several members, some of whom commute 40 miles to work in Austin
daily.

 |BUT, it will still have the effect of diluting other existing club's
 |scores if entrants are forced to choose one and only one club for
 |which to submit their score.  If an entrant could choose ANY TWO
 |category clubs under whose banner her/she could submit a score,
 |I don't see any problems.

Irrelevant in Texas - The next club is 200 miles away! That's why expansion
of the radius is so important. Our people excluded by the tiny 20-mile
radius have nowhere else to go!

John, NT5C.