[CQ-Contest] Kachina transceiver

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Kachina transceiver
From: rthorne@arn.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Wed May 13 11:21:31 1998
Hi Dave:

I don't have all the answers to your questions but I'm fixing to find out.  I
ordered one last week and hope to have it delivered in 2 weeks.

I mainly purchased the rig for remote control.  My station is located at my
office which is great for contesting, I don't bother the family or visa-versa.
However, I hate having to drive up to the office to work dx I see posted on the
internet cluster.  Kachina is coming out with a modem setup to use the radio
over
the phone line.  I don't have all the details yet but here's the requirements as
I understand them:

- Kachina 505DSP and modem (which includes an a/d convert) at the remote end.
- PC and modem at control end.

In addition there should be some sort of antenna control and rotor control.  My
plan for an amplifier is to go solid state.  There is a connection on the back
of
the Kachina to pick the appropriate filter (band).  In addition the software
controls a relay in the rig to turn the amplifier control line on/off.

Now to the original question David had.

I know of one software vendor, LOGic, that is working on an interface for the
Kachina.  I have not sent a note to Ken(CT) or Dave(NA) yet.  I'm hoping they
will take a look at it and write an update to interface the Kachina.  The
Kachina
web page http://www.kachina-az.com has information on how to control the rig.
If
you know how to program you could probably write your own software to interface
with the rig.

In the mean time I have a couple of computers including a lap top.  I'll just
use
my laptop as the rig and my other computer for logging.  Instead of a knob to
tune the rig I'll use the up and down key on the keyboard.  Try downloading the
demo software from the web page and tune the rig.  Its not that bad, just
something new to get used to.  Kachina is selling a tuning knob which connects
another com port but its pretty pricey, over $150.00.

I also plan on building a web page to track my progress with the new rig.  I'm
really looking forward to getting the rig and building a remote control station.

By the way we need a new category in the contests, "remote control", HI.

David L. Thompson wrote:

> I went to a local hamfest in nearby South Carolina and Kachina was there
> with a display (The only manufacturer there).  The Kachina looks nice and
> probably would work well an environment such as at EA8BH.  There all you do
> is run on a freq and let the computer run you to Dx spots for mults while
> you are running.
>
> However, no matter how well the Kachina works I am wondering about the
> ability to work in a regular contesters shack.  Most of us with competitive
> stations spend time running but we also S&P and using a keyboard by
> repetitive hitting of a key to change freq does not seem very efficient.
>
> I believe that the Kachina and the Patcomm are the first of the radios of
> the future (most will be a PC with software to set the functions) but how do
> we overcome not having an easy way to tune the freq.  I do understand
> Kachina is coming out with a remote freq adjuster (fancy name for a tuning
> knob).  I was told a spectrum analyzer might work, but until one comes with
> each voice pattern ided by call how do you know that pattern is W3GH or 5A1A?
>
> maybe the discussions at Dayton will shed some light.
>
> 73, Dave K4JRB
>
> --

Richard Thorne
Amarillo, TX
Amateur Radio Station: N5ZC (previous calls, KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)