[CQ-Contest] Portable generators and ground-fault protection

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable generators and ground-fault protection
From: EDWOODS@msg.pacbell.com (Woods, Eric D PB-edwoods)
Date: Tue May 26 10:50:01 1998
I've seen this happen at our field day site when we used an old HA-14
amp with the external power supply wired for 110v during the annual
Friday night stay up too late and talk and work DX and consume 807's
fest.

The GF breakers will activate when they sense current flow on the ACEG
from the equipment being powered.  This current can be a result of old
equipment design (in our case this time), rf going to the ACEG via a
filter component wired from the powering conductors to ground or from
induced rf on the ACEG.

However, last year we ran TL-922 amps (wired for 110v) and had no
problems (except for the X2 score reduction ).

I would bet that you will have no problems.

The powering length restriction is most likely a limitation imposed so
that you will get enough current flowing on the ACEG if you have a phase
- to - equipment case short of sufficient magnitude to cause a problem.

Eric, K6GV
edwoods@pacbell.com

From: William N. Goodman, CPA" <goodmancpa@enter.net (William N. Goodman, CPA)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting, exchanges/frequency

We are guilty of posting such spots, such as VS6ZZZ called me on 10 meters.
That is to alert our fellow FRC members that VS6ZZZ is on the band and
roving.  He may call you next.  Point your beam in the right direction so
you have a chance too.  It also tells you that eastern Asia is open long
path to the south east, which you may have not known.  We purposely do not
post the exact frequency because we do not want you all jumping on our run
frequency.  Besides, he may have moved on.  It also prevents those using
search and pounce in CT from using CTRL F4 from landing on our freq. by
error.  Usually we use 28000 or 14000 kcs., etc.   I was glad when others
spotted such DX.  It encouraged me to stay on a band a little longer,
probably landing a new multiplier.  Besides, it is fun to brag!  73, Bill,
K3ANS ( puny multi station).