[CQ-Contest] Has the contest ended yet?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Has the contest ended yet?
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun Jun 28 20:09:32 1998
At 08:37 AM 6/28/98 -0400, "Bill Fisher, W4AN" <w4an@contesting.com> wrote:

>I read K1AR's editorial in this months CQ magazine with interest.  His
>topic is just when does the contest end?
>
>This is one point of the contest rules that sponsor seem to ignore.
>Personally, I think if there is no rule against an activity, then the
>activity must be OK with the sponsors of the contest.
>
>One can only assume that the sponsors for CQWW, SS, and other big contests
>are OK with recording the contest and playing it back to remove mistakes.
>They are OK with elaborate database checking programs to find unique QSO's
>in the post contest log and remove them before entry.
>
>Well, personally I am not OK with it.  When I turn off the radio at 00Z,
>the long is in the same shape it is in when I submit it, unless I made a
>note to myself during the contest to change something in the log.
>
>So John, to answer your question... the contests ends at 00Z for me too.  I
>hope others agree.

Gang,
Tried to snip a few parts but Bill is right on with the appropriate
response.  Most of the rules were written before computer logging came to
the fore.  I feel that at the ending second the log should be closed except
to assure that all dups are properly marked and all log exceptions
(those with ##### in CT) corrected.

For my 160 log I look to see if I got all the mults, that KL7ZZZ/W8 or
KH6DX/M6 were 2 pointers and not 5 or 10, and then do a quick run through
to assure the log is readible if printed.  The computer often brings in data
entry errors so by all means correct them (K4DOL = K4ODL etc) otherwise you
can bet the log checkers will find it and you lose points.

I think to allow any more would lead to too much doctoring of the log
especially after one sees the claimed scores somewhere.

Now the problem comes in..how do you put this into "legislation" in the
rules.  Something as simple as the rules for the CQ WW 160 have caused
problems with MM, counting the USA and canada as countries as well as states
and provinces, and which PJ is 10 and which is 5 points.  They also have to
be written to be translated in Spanish, French, German, Russian, Portuguese
et al and English does not always translate very well!

I think changes post contest should be simple editing/correcting entry
mistakes, and correcting for program bugs (remember when the NA Cq 160
program counted Wyoming as 5 points for USA and 2 for canada).  After that
the contest closed at 0000Z (or actual closing)...anything else is not legal.

Dave K4JRB