[CQ-Contest] Re: Club Team Competition

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Club Team Competition
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy L. Olinger)
Date: Mon Jun 15 15:33:49 1998
Actually, Bill, I think this is a rather neat idea. It opens up all
kinds of challenge possibilities.

The normalizing feature which Walter adds does what he says, plus allows
several other things:

** The categories do not have to be fixed in number and type for each
team. Since each score is normalized within its own category, a team
that puts in ten stations soab lp one tower, and has the top ten scores
in that category, will clean everybody's clock. That sounds like a real
leveler. But wouldn't be able to a very good job of estimating scores
until a good list on 3830. Need the top score in each category to begin.
Maybe if there are enough teams, we normalize using team scores only.

Also, if normalizing, teams could be other numbers than 10 and still
compete. If a team of seven, then multiply the total score by 10/7. If
18 teams, then total multiplied by 10/18. This could be an optional
provision. Something about your best 10 against our best 10...

Here in PVRC, we have local chapters, and filling out fixed category
list would be hard in an individual chapter, but it would be nice for
PVRC-NC, by itself to challenge SECC, using these rules, also
challenging other chapters.

Post stations in team to cq-contest 24 hours before start. DQ's and
non-submission take away from score, no after-the-fact substitutions.
Results computed from published scores, and/or corrections. EG, W4AN
score not in QST (bummer!) would still count for what ARRL said it was.

Again, nice idea.

73 y'all.

Guy.