[CQ-Contest] Code speed=Good contester??

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Code speed=Good contester??
From: n2au@lightlink.com (Art & Linda Hubert)
Date: Sat Jul 25 02:01:54 1998
I read the latest postings that state if one is licensed at 13 wpm vs 20
wpm, it will automatically relegate you to a second class  CW contest
operator.  For those of us who have been in the contest arena for many
years, we take this statement for what it is worth...pure Horse-Puckey,
 When I came into the contest scene in 1960, we had such cw-contesters
as: W9IOP, W4KFC, W9SZR, W9WNV, K2KIR, K2KTK, and countless others.
These operators were outstanding CW men and would be so and some still
are by today's standards, guess what??  They all took their general
class license exam at 13 WPM.  There are many VE contesters who are
excellent CW contesters, but they didn't pass a 20 WPM code exam, so I
guess they are as good as I thought.
Passing a 20 wpm cw exam doesn't magically make you a top-notch contest
operator.  If it did, then every CW contest record holder should be an
American. Or could it be that each individual operator determines his
potential and NOT a 20 WPM exam???

Art-N2AU

Gentlemen