[CQ-Contest] Technique for calling DX in contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Technique for calling DX in contests
From: kh2d@kuentos.guam.net (Jim Kehler)
Date: Mon Jul 27 04:06:19 1998
Trey, N5KO said:

> This talk of signing calls has inspired me to (once again) give a
> brief review of proper calling technique in a contest.

> K5TR is surfing around on a very uncluttered 10 meters at 18Z calling
> South Americans during CQWW CW and hears a CQ/QRZ type message from a
> capable operator on a clear frequency sending 599-10 at 34 WPM, so he
> sends "K5TR" or "DE K5TR".  He does *not* send "K5TR K5TR" or "K5TR
> K5TR K5TR" or "HC8N DE K5TR".

But you forgot to qualify something here, Trey. What you describe is
the AMERICAN method... After an exciting weekend in the IOTA
contest, and for the benefit of those new contesters who missed the
last cycle peak, I feel we should also cover the EUROPEAN method:

ME: TEST KH2D KH2D TEST
HIM: SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD
ME: SP9QYD 599 842 OC26
HIM: QSL DE SP9QYD SP9QYD UR 599 0-- 5-9 0-- DE SP9QYD SP9QYD (-- = lost in QSB)
ME: NR ?
HIM: DE SP9QYD SP9QYD UR 5-9 0-- 5-9 00- 59- --- 599 0-- DE SP9QYD SP9QYD
ME: NR ? ONLY NR ?
HIM: DE SP9QYD SP9QYD (slows to 5 wpm) U R 5 9 9  0 0 1 5 9 9 0 0 1 5 9 9 0 0 1
5 9 9 0 0 1
       (back to 15 WPM) DE SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD
ME: TU KH2D
HIM: DE SP9QYD SP9QYD SP9QYD PSE UR QSL INFO PSE QSL INFO PSE DE SP9QYD

Band conditions to Europe this weekend have inspired me to remember just
how much fun cutting the grass and changing the oil in my wifes car on the
weekend can really be.......

73, Jim KH2D
Mariana Islands DX Association - http://www.guam.net/pub/midxa/
Home Page - http://www.qsl.net/kh2d