[CQ-Contest] RE: [CQ-CONTEST] A modern Multi Single or.......?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: [CQ-CONTEST] A modern Multi Single or.......?
From: gord@kron.donetsk.ua (Vladimir A. Gordienko)
Date: Tue Aug 4 21:22:53 1998
Unfortunately, these things happen. And not only in Multi/Multi/Single
category, but also in Multi/Multi/Multi and even sometimes in Single/Multi
/Multi.

I've got more than 20 years experience in contesting and I well remember
how this "multi/multi/multi" started in the Championships and Cups of the
USSR about 20 years ago (And how shamely now ! - I was one of them during
my student body from our club station then). Time is the best teacher and
I believe that most of us are fair conesters now. But then was such kind
of competition among the stations of this "invisible" category to win.

Maybe this atavism is still alive in somebody's "homo-soveticus" mentality
developing into international contests on the modern technical base, but
I do remember such examples not only from countries of former USSR space
but also from other countries (first of all European) and sometimes I got
great impression from results made somewhere in Europe, looking like from
P4 or HC8 for example. Personally I can't stand this and officially (as me
a vice-president of the Ukrainian Contest Club) we struggle against this.

This topic also was discussed during the annual UCC conference in Yalta
this year. And some guys offered to add new "unlimited" category for this
purpose, but I'm not sure is it worthy to do.

73! Vladimir "Bob"  UT1IA.