[CQ-Contest] VE Deregulation on the horizon

Subject: [CQ-Contest] VE Deregulation on the horizon
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed Aug 5 23:25:49 1998
Rob,

I suspect that the US is eventually in for the same kind of
thing. The spectrum of technologies that governments
have to regulate keeps growing each year. This growing
proliferation of communications technology also means more
competition by non-licensed citizens in the emergency
communications arena - e.g. John Q Public can dial 911
on his cell phone faster than I can que up the autopatch.
The digital cellular network he is communicating over can be
policed and controlled by virtue of its own network management
system (enter call blocking).

Politicians faced with the challenge of keeping their governments
solvent in the face of global economic conditions are looking
for fat to trim anywhere they can find it. A hobby that appears
to no longer serve the public interest, is probably a natural
choice. I wish it were otherwise. Perhaps we should encourage
more young people to study economics. Maybe some smart kid
can figure out how bring the rest of the world up to western industrial
standards, instead of western industrial coutries having gut their
infrastructures to meet their third world counterparts in the middle.
Mother Entropy is a tough customer - she works round the clock without
pay.

Regards,

Mike Tope, W4EF/6..........